Saturday, October 2, 2010

Middle Sister: Forever Cool

So tonight I went to the store and bought some new wines. I decided to try some of the wineries I already like. I opened the bottle from Middle Sister first, because it is a red and didn't need to be chilled. Sometimes you just can't wait for a bottle to chill before you get to have a glass and chill yourself. A note about Middle Sister Winery - they donate a dime a bottle to causes women care about. You can go to www.middlesisterwines.com and check it out yourself. I took their which sister are you wine quiz and it says I am Forever Cool - mmm, wonder what that says about me - simple and fruity?


Forever Cool is a Merlot out of California. It is 12.5% alcohol and is about $11. While I love more expensive wines (sometimes there really is a difference!) anything under $15 can be kind of lumped together. However, I would avoid going under $5 for most bottles. There are a few worth drinking but only if you're really pinching pennies.

This is a lighter bodied red. It is dry on the finish and a little mouthy, but primarily sweet. The aroma is simple fruit and merlot. The taste is not very complicated either. It may be too dry for a new wine drinker or someone who really prefers sweet wines, but I would say this is a very uncomplicated wine, easy to drink. Probably best by itself or with chocolate. It would pair perfectly with a black forest cake. The fruit in the wine would complement the cherry filling.

I would give this wine a 6 or 7 on a "wineglass" scale of 1-10. It is easy to drink, but it is not hearty or rich. I would compare it to the red Menage a Trois, which is named for the trio of grapes, from Folie a Deux winery in California. If I am going to buy a wine like that, I would probably just buy that one because it is usually $8 or $9. Maybe I will drink them side by side sometime and see if there is any appreciable difference.

Forever Cool would probably be a neat hostess gift or nice wine to take to a party because it would likely be enjoyed by most people. It does seem to contain sulfites, so if you're sensitive to them, you might not like this. I get a stuffy nose from them and get very sleepy.

No comments:

Post a Comment