Saturday, October 23, 2010

Menage a Trois: Chardonnay

This was (sorry, bottle's gone) a smooth Chardonnay. While Chardonnay was one of my first wine loves, the oak flavors eventually turned me off to this type of wine. I am pushing myself to try new wines for this blog, so I grabbed the bottle anyway. I know I like the Menage a Trois red wine as a pleasant after dinner wine, so I thought I would try the new offering from the Folie a Deux winery.

This Chardonnay was smooth, lightly buttery, subtle oak with a hint of toast on the finish. It was very easy to drink and delicious. My friend who is slowly being indoctrinated into the wino arts, generally prefers moscato and reisling, but really liked this Chardonnay.

Menage a Trois is produced and bottled by the Folie a Deux winery in California. Their wines are usually blends of different types of grapes, but this time the Chardonnay is a blend of different areas' grapes: According to their website - citrus aromas from Monterey County, lush tropical fruit from Santa Barbara, and structure from Mendocino county.

It sells for about $9-11 a bottle depending on state or alcohol taxes. Even if you've walked away from Chardonnay because of the overly oaked varieties, this is worth trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment